Sunday, August 19, 2007

Deja Vu & Armarove and Iraq?

drawing by marguerita
Iraq, a triangle of mountains, desert, and fertile river valley, is bounded on the east by Iran, on the north by Turkey, on the west by Syria and Jordan, and on the south by Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. It is twice the size of Idaho. The country has arid desert land west of the Euphrates, a broad central valley between the Euphrates and the Tigris, and mountains in the northeast.....From earliest times Iraq was known as Mesopotamia
—the land between the rivers—for it embraces a large part of the alluvial plains of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.
An advanced civilization existed by 4000 B.C. Sometime after 2000 B.C. the land became the center of the ancient Babylonian and Assyrian empires. Mesopotamia was conquered by Cyrus the Great of Persia in 538 B.C. and by Alexander in 331 B.C. After an Arab conquest in 637–640, Baghdad became the capital of the ruling caliphate. The country was cruelly pillaged by the Mongols in 1258, and during the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries was the object of repeated Turkish-Persian competition.Nominal Turkish suzerainty imposed in 1638 was replaced by direct Turkish rule in 1831. In World War I, Britain occupied most of Mesopotamia and was given a mandate over the area in 1920. The British renamed the area Iraq and recognized it as a kingdom in 1922. In 1932, the monarchy achieved full independence. Britain again occupied Iraq during World War II because of its pro-Axis stance in the initial years of the war.

Karl Rove undertook a three-stop farewell tour of the talk shows on Sunday:Rove appears only to be interested in creating the impression that the troops will be coming home by election day 2008 rather than actually instituting a real redeployment policy.
Rove has a history of making political predictions that deny reality, especially in regards to Iraq:http://thinkprogress.org/2007/07/09/rove-iraq-2008-election/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20251378/site/newsweek/
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/sunday-sampler-platter-rove-farewell-tour/index.html?hp

Not his own decision, he said he was just doing “what I was instructed to do.”

Had Eichmann only been carrying out orders and only doing what he was told to do.....

http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/e/eichmann-adolf/
http://www.remember.org/eichmann/ownwords.htm
I have heard the Court's severe verdict of guilty. I see myself disappointed in my hopes for justice.
I cannot recognize the verdict of guilty.
I understand the demand for atonement for the crimes which were perpetrated against the Jews. The witnesses' statements here in the Court made my limbs go numb once again, just as they went numb when once, acting on orders, I had to look at the atrocities. It was my misfortune to become entangled in these atrocities. But these misdeeds did not happen according to my wishes. It was not my wish to slay people.
The guilt for the mass murder is solely that of the political leaders. I did try to leave my position,
to leave for the front, for honest battle.
But I was held fast in those dark duties.
Once again I would stress that I am guilty of having been obedient, having subordinated myself to my official duties and the obligations of war service and my oath of allegiance and my oath of office, and in addition, once the war started, there was also martial law.
May I therefore ask that consideration be given to the fact that I obeyed,
and not whom I obeyed.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107644.html

No comments: