Friday, August 3, 2007

E.B.Browning


From God than from all others,O my friend!
Men could not part us with their wordly jars,
Nor the seas change us,nor the tempests bend:
Our hands would touch,for all the mountain bars;
And,heaven being rolled between us at the end,
We should but vow the faster for the stars

.
Among Browning's best known lyrics is Sonnets from the Portuguese - the 'Portugese' being her husband's petname for dark-haired Elizabeth, but it could refer to the series of sonnets of the 16th-century Portuguese poet Luiz de Camões. It first appeared in a collected edition in 1850. The work includes the sonnet which begins with the well-known line, "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways".
I love thee to the depth and breadth
and height
My soul can reach,when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and Ideal Grace.



No comments: