Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Guilty Sex



drawing by marguerita
from the series The Guilty Sex

My Luve Is Like A Red, Red Rose
by Robert Burns



O, my luve is like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June:
My luve is like a melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

So fair thou art, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I:
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun:
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands of life shall run.
And fare the weel, my only luve,
And fare the well awhile!
And I will come again, my luve.
Tho' it were ten thousand mile.

Robert Burns also wrote in standard English, and in these pieces, his political or civil commentary is often at its most blunt.
The genius of Burns is marked by spontaneity, directness, and sincerity,
and his variety is marvellous, ranging from the rollicking humour and blazing wit
of Tam o' Shanter to the blistering satire of Holy Fair.
His life is a tragedy, and his character full of flaws.

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Scotland-History/Burns.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burns

No comments: